Thursday, February 23, 2006

clouds of sounds on nan-town

so, I've been told that hank pine and lily fawn will be opening for the uncas, an alt-country band from alberta, at the queens this sunday. I will finally be able to witness the spectacle of lily, dressed as a fawn, doing her dance as she drums and playing the saw? and hank, who wears a mask, and presumably performs unprecedented feats of showmanship? I don't know, I've heard such rumours.

DOWNLOAD: hank and lily - the junkie shuffle

the scout hut proved an adorable little rock and roll venue last weekend. I wasn't as blown away by bend sinister as I'd expected based on the song I couldn't stop listening to last week, but maybe it was just that I was really tired. they were heavier than I expected, but still pretty catchy. the dirt on rocked pretty hard, though it annoyed me when they got screamy. I kept wishing they would be more like wolf parade, because it seemed like they could be if they tried, but clearly that's not what they're going for. I personally like more vocally driven music and less jamming around. the paper cranes were enjoyable as always, though maybe not as good as the last time I saw them. the cora wounded did their share of jamming about and screaming, which of course is not really my thing. I found the opening band, hot fuck, particularly charming, and look forward to seeing more of them.

I also just found out that the grates, an australian band I just fell in love with, are playing in vancouver with we are scientists on march 29th, the same day I was planning to see metric and islands (featuring former members of the unicorns) in victoria. dilemma.
to hear these bands, tune in to indiecontextual thursday (tomorrow/today) at 4pm (101.7 fm in nanaimo, or www.chly.ca). what should I do?

now playing: the magnetic fields - born on a train

1 Comments:

Blogger Aleksandra said...

Good God, March 29th - April 1st is the mother of all double/triple bookings...

First nobody comes in January and February, then everyone comes at once - why do you do this to us, oh bands, when we love you so??

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home