Wednesday, December 31, 2008

enthusiasm spoken for

I wasn’t very impressed by music I listened to in 2008, which is a strange experience for me. I think it’s mainly because I focused my energy on my own projects, which were numerous and pretty big, so my enthusiasm was all spoken for.
I passed up shows by sunset rubdown and wolf parade. (what?!)
I left nanaimo for ONE show all year (and not far, went to duncan), which was
ROCK PLAZA CENTRAL. so one of my favourite records this year was their first album (quantum butterass), from 1997.
probably the record I was most into all year was one from 2007, which I just got in january:
BARR’s second album, SUMMARY.
also worth a mention from 2007 is the
second FRVDTY split, featuring LIGHTS OF HARMAC and DOWN WITH EVERYTHING, which came out late last year and I got pretty into this year. a highlight in local releases.


before I get to my top records of 2008 list, here’s a rundown of the endeavours that took priority over buying and downloading and being thrilled by other people’s music: I was making my own! here are five
shack records releases and one tour that made this a big year for me.

my true favourite record this year is:
OLD PHOEBE – I’LL TAKE YOU WHERE I GO. jamie and I spent hot july upstairs at the & loan gallery working on this record until we were happy happy. it’s mostly songs we’ve been playing for a long time, and feels full of our whole nanaimo experience to me. listening to it fills me full of satisfaction with all the work I’ve done with jamie and everyone else I’ve worked with here.

secondly satisfying is:
THE PHRENOLOGISTS – ALCHEMY. playing in this band was fun. recording this cd, two days in june also upstairs at the & loan, was also fun. listening to the record is fun. going on tour across canada with this band in august was super fun and definitely one of the best things I’ve ever done. sure, do that and then tell me how excited you are even by a new record from your favourite band. it pales a little.

I also made this:
KILL THE BUDDHA – FIRST KNOW WHAT YOU’RE DEALING WITH. while I’m very satisfied with having made this record in a week in february, there’s so much I would change about it now. some songs really could’ve used a few more takes. and the songs sound so much the same, maybe because my guitar playing sucks so much. still, it was meant to be a raw, bare, honest laying down of songs, and it is. some people really like it. actually david morrison put it on his favourite records of the year list.

and I am extremely pleased with the debut of my good friend:
ELGIN-SKYE. it’s so pretty in every way.

also significant for me this year was:
AH, VENICE – YELLOW HOUSE. I think I have always been one of the biggest fans of chris thompson’s songwriting and singing and arranging. let me just stand behind that and leave all emotions out of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home